• mellyspiers

Painter taps home to earn side first win of campaign

HENLEY TOWN picked up their first Premier Division points of the season as they beat visitors TWYFORD COMETS 2-1 at their Mill Lane Triangle Ground.

The home side started the better team and created a couple of early chances that were kept out well by the Twyford goalkeeper and defenders who made several blocks in the opening 10 minutes.

The remainder of the first half was evenly contested with both teams not creating many chances although Henley goalkeeper Arron Stevens pulled off a couple of good saves late in the half to make sure the teams went into half time 0-0.

Henley made two changes at half time with Harri Douglas and Charlie Douglas being replaced by Liam O’Riley and Rowan Stacey.

Early parts of the second half followed a similar pattern to the first with both teams keeping each other quiet. The breakthrough came for Twyford on the 70 minute mark when a ball over the top was played to their striker who finished well from just outside the box.

Henley hit back five minutes later when Alexis King made a 50 yard run, beating three Twyford defenders and squaring the ball back to Jack Earl who finished well into the bottom left corner.

With 15 minutes left both sides continued to attack and Brendan Keane made a couple of good tackles to keep Twyford at bay.

With eight minutes left to play Henley were awarded a free kick due to some hard work from Nico Cheesman. Captain Charlie York took the free kick from just outside the box and fired the ball hard towards the far corner of the goal where the Twyford goalkeeper could only parry and Liam Painter tapped home the rebound. Henley survived a couple of late scares with Stevens again making some good saves including one shot which came off the post.

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

HENLEY TOWN came from 3-1 down to secure a point at KIDLINGTON YOUTH U18s last Sunday. Henley skipper Lou Colam was a commanding presence in organising the defence into a tight cohesive unit. However,